The concept of net , which comes from the Latin word challenge, has several uses and meanings. It is correct to say that almost all its meanings are linked to the structure that count with one characteristic pattern .
Network, therefore, is used in the computing to name the set of teams (how to be computers ) connected to each other so that they can share resources , services and information .
There are several ways to classify a network: according to its scope, its functional relationship or the method of Connection , for example. In the first category (networks according to their scope), we can find the notion of MAN network .
MAN is the acronym of Metropolitan Area Network , which can be translated as Metropolitan Area Network . A MAN network it is one that, through a high-speed connection, offers coverage in a large geographical area (such as a city or a municipality).
With a MAN network It is possible to share and exchange all kinds of data (text, videos, audio, etc.) using fiber optic or twisted pair cable. This type of network implies an evolution of the LAN networks (Local Area Network or Local area network ), as it favors interconnection in a wider region, covering a larger area. On the other hand is the WAN network (Wide Area Network or Wide Area Network ), which allows the interconnection of countries and continents
The MAN networks They can be public or private. These networks are developed with two unidirectional buses, which means that each one acts independently of the other regarding data transfer. When fiber optic is used, the rate of error it is smaller than if copper wire is used, as long as two networks of equal dimensions are compared. It is worth mentioning that both options are safe since they do not allow reading or alteration of their signal without physically interrupting the link.
Among the uses of MAN networks The interconnection of dispersed offices in a city but belonging to the same corporation, the development of a municipal video surveillance system and the deployment of VoIP services can be mentioned.
The acronym VoIP can be read in several ways, such as "voice over Internet Protocol", "voice over IP" or "IP voice" and it is a set of resources that enable the sending of the voice signal to through Internet using an IP. In other words, if a MAN network is used to provide VoIP services, communication similar to telephone is made possible but by sending the information in digital packets of data, instead of using analog telephone networks, such as the PSTN ("public switched telephone network").
Advantages of the MAN network over the WAN network
* Once the purchase of the necessary equipment and the installation of the network has been made, the maintenance costs of a MAN are considerably lower than those of a WAN network. One of the reasons for this difference is that in a MAN network it is possible to anticipate the maximum number of user simultaneous at all times and control it;
* offers greater security and protection of data and system integrity;
* it is more suitable for traffic that does not need to be assigned a fixed bandwidth;
* the width of band It offers is greater.
* Due to legal and political issues, certain users may be forced to opt for a public MAN network instead of a private one;
* Its scope, although very wide, does not exceed 50 km in diameter, so it may not be ideal in all cases.